To equip the students with adequate knowledge and skills for the safe and effective use of drugs in the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of diseases in humans.
* Introduce the students to the history, general principles of pharmacology and rational use of drugs.
* To provide the students with adequate information on the actions and safe use of specific pharmacotherapeutic agents.
* To equip the students with the knowledge of dosage forms of pharmacotherapeutic agents and their methods of administration.
* To provide the students with information on mechanisms of drug toxicity and its management.
* To teach the students the nature of abuse of alcohol and other substances and management of the associated problems.
Learning Outcome Measures:
At the end of the courses, students should:
* Have acquired adequate knowledge of the nature of drugs and their rational use.
* Appreciate the broad principles of mechanisms of drug action.
* Appreciate the general principles of adverse drug reactions and their management.
* Appreciate the importance of rational use of drugs in the maintenance of good health.
* Appreciate the nature, consequences and management of abuse of alcohol and other substances associated problems.