Niger Delta Journal of Medical Sciences (NDJMS) is a quarterly peer-reviewed official publication of Faculty of Clinical Sciences (FCS), College of Health Sciences (CHS), Niger Delta University (NDU) ,Amassoma, Wilberforce Island Bayelsa State, Nigeria.
This general medical Journal accepts manuscripts from within and outside Nigeria in areas of basic and clinical medical sciences and related fields.
All manuscripts submitted to this journal are expected to conform to the Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals issued by the International Committee for Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE).
Types of Manuscripts and Limit
- Original Article
- Papers on original scientific articles with up to 3,000 words, five illustrations/tables/figures and twenty five references.
- Review Article
- A comprehensive review of a timely, important clinical subject along with the analysis of the topic leading to conclusions. This should not exceed 4,000 words and 120 references..
- Letters to Editor
- Comments on papers recently published in the journal up to 500 words and three references without any figures.
Other Types of Publications
Review of books and other media abstracts from medical workshops and conferences will be published by special arrangement.
Each submission must be accompanied by a covering letter signed by each author. The covering letter must include information on prior or duplicate publication and a statement on financial and conflicts of interests. Copies of any permission(s) to reproduce published material or to use illustrations or report information about identifiable persons must accompany the manuscript
It must be emphasized that the data, opinions and information published in Niger Delta Journal of Medical Sciences are strictly the views and responsibilities of the author(s).The Journal, its Editorial Board or the Publishers hence do not accept any liability for inaccurate information.
Manuscript should be sent as an attachment to the Journal email:email@example.com.
A Manuscript upon submission first undergoes editorial review to ascertain its novelty and suitability for publication on NDJMS. Thereafter it is sent to two /three independent assessors for peer-review.
Preparation of Manuscript
Manuscripts should be prepared on an A4 paper, double-spaced with margins of 2.5cm from each edge, font size 12 and face Times New Roman, pages numbered consecutively in the bottom right-hand corner. Manuscript should include the following sections: Title page, abstract and keywords, text, acknowledgements, references, tables and figures in that order.
Niger Delta Journal of Medical Sciences uses both UK and US spelling as long as one is consistently used throughout a manuscript. International System of units (SI) units should be used for all measurements. Use abbreviations to avoid repetition of long technical terms/names: Indicate the abbreviation in parentheses when the term/name is used in full for the first time. Avoid abbreviations and references in abstract section. Use only the approved generic names of chemical substances and drugs.
Original Article should be formatted as follow
- Title page
- Title of article, names of contributing authors in this order; Surname (family name) in full , middle name initial and First name in full e.g. Green O. Smith, name of institution the study is carried out and qualifications of each author, name, address and email of the corresponding author.
- Article file
- This file contains the abstract and keywords and the main text sections only.
- This is arranged into; a brief Introduction highlighting the background, Methods highlighting (setting, design, timeline, subjects, data management etc), Results and conclusions. It should not exceed 250 words.
- These should not be more than six or less than four words
- Text of an original manuscript should be separated into the standard IMRAD format as follows: Introduction, Methodology, Results and Discussion. Sections on Acknowledgements and References should be included
- Should be concise and state the background and clear objective of the paper.
- Materials and Methods
- Should be clear enough for another researcher to be able to repeat the study. Detailed statement on ethical issues should be in this section
- Present results in logical sequence in the text, tables, figures and other illustrations. Do not repeat in the text all the data in the tables or illustrations; emphasize or summarize only the important observations. Use the symbols * ¶ ᵼ ⱡ § sequentially to explain as footnotes unconventional abbreviations used in the tables.
- The major findings should be highlighted and related to other studies. Their significance, implications and limitations should be emphasized.
- As much as possible relevant conclusions from the results in relation to the objectives of the study should be stated.
- The following should be acknowledged; Research or other financial grants; Material support, Contributions of Institutions, Colleagues and other relevant participants who contributed significantly but not sufficient for the authorship.
- should follow the Vancouver style giving name of the Journal or its standard abbreviation, year, volume, first and last pages. The references should be numbered, using Arabic numerals in superscript in the order in which they are first used in the text, tables, figures, and legends. In the reference section, list the references in the order of appearance in the text, tables, figures and legends. Do not include abstracts, unpublished data, oral communications, and personal communications in the reference list. All references should be against the original documents. In the reference section, the names of first six authors should be listed followed by “et al.” Names of journals should be abbreviated using the approved style as in Index Medicus/PubMed. A manuscript may be rejected for inaccurate citations..
- References to a chapter in a textbook
- should include the surname and up to two initials of each author, title of the chapter, followed by In:, surname and up to two initials of each editor of the book, title of the book, edition , publisher ,year of publication, first and last page of the chapter
- Reference to a book
- should state the surname and up to two initials of each editor of the book, followed by eds, title of the book, edition of the book, place of publication,year and pages of the chapter.
Manuscripts accepted for publication in Niger Delta Journal of Medical Sciences become the property of the journal. All authors are therefore expected to sign a transfer of copyright form and send a scan copy by email attachment to the editorial office. With copyright, the journal has the exclusive rights to reproduction, translation and distribution of the article.
Subscription Per Annum
Individuals –N4, 000
Institutions –N7, 000
Overseas — USD 100 or equivalent
Advertisement rates per Issue
Full page (cover pages) –N25, 000
Inside Full page –N22, 500
½ page –N15, 000
¼ page –N8, 000
Processing and Publication Fees: USD 100 or its equivalent payable only after the acceptance of submitted manuscript.